Thursday, February 9, 2012

9-Year-Old Voices Her Thoughts on Bill

The following is the transcript of a letter written by a nine-year-old Florida girl in response to School Readiness Act, Section 41.0102 that is before the Florida House of Representatives. The bill threatens the well-being of tens-of-thousands low-income children, reduces the ability of parents to work extended hours, and potentially increases the burden on other state and federal subsidies.

We hope you will take the time to reach out to your elected officials and express your concerns, much like this little girl did.


February 3, 2012

To the members of the Business and Consumer Affairs House Committee:

Hello. My name is Gabriela Reyes. I am a 9 year old. I am in the after school program at R.C.M.A Wimauma Academy Charter School. I love attending the program because they help me with my homework and I have time to read a lot. Last year my grades went up and I learned to love math. My mom and dad work at a farm where they pick strawberries. Without the afterschool school program either my mom or dad would have to quit their job. We wouldn’t have money for food or clothes for me, my brother or my sister.

I am asking on behalf of my education future and my friends who are also in the school readiness program to include school age children in the School Readiness House Bill.


Sincerely, Gabriela Reyes

No comments:

Post a Comment